CERF's research is concentrated on the coastal interface in the eastern
North Pacific. Roughly the range of interest extends from 100' down into
the subtidal to 300m back into the coastal forest. Our faculty are all
multi-disciplinary (an occupational hazard of living and working in the field
and on the ocean), so our research covers a wide range of subjects, ranging
from behaviour and ecology to oceanography, ocean engineering and remote sensing.
We are still updating this part of the website. Here you will eventually find
links to the kinds of work we have done in the past, and what we are currently up to.
- Abundance, distribution and movements of grey whales on the central coast of BC
- Abundance, distribution and movements of humpback whales on the southern central coast of BC
- Abundance, distribution and movements of red-legged frogs on Bramham Island, BC
- Distribution of northern ronquils in Rivers Inlet, BC
- Sonar & video investigations of the abundance, distribution & biodiversity of mysids in coastal BC.
- Acoustic navigation by grey whales - biomimetic acoustic daylight imaging?
- Evaluation of the use of ROVs and the Shorekeepers' protocol for subtidal biodiversity monitoring
- Distribution of fish schools around feeding humpback whales
- Evaluation of the use of non-experts in the collection of meaningful behavioural observations
- Habitat use and ecosystem structuring role of flying squirrels
- Benthic & epibenthic biodiversity of San Ignacio Lagoon and the nearshore Pacific
- Abundance, distribution and movements of bottlenose dolphins in & near San Ignacio Lagoon
- Behavioural ecology of black sea turtles on their feeding grounds in San Ignacio Lagoon
- Abundance, distribution and movements of grey whales in & near near San Ignacio Lagoon
- Saltwater greenhouses as part of sustainable development in San Ignacio Lagoon
- Development of novel propulsion systems for remotely operated vehicles
- Small, inexpensive remotely operated submersible vehicles for coastal ecology research
- Novel mechanism of dolphin hearing
- Intertidal biodiversity
- Biodiversity of the coastal forest
- Forest floor insects on Bramham Island
- Dungeness crab abundance in the Bramham Archipaelago
- Grey whale heart rate measurement
- Underwater behaviour of grey whales on the breeding grounds